This article tries to suggest solutions to any of the following problems observed:
- Your attached monitor will display a blank screen
- You can only see the mouse cursor on your attached monitor
- Your attached monitor will flicker off and on
- When you move a window / mouse cursor on your attached monitor, remnants of the window / mouse cursor will be left over
- The mouse cursor does not appear (but moving it around will invoke mouse over events)
- Some (but not all) displays in a multiple monitor setup show a blank background instead of a desktop
This can be caused by graphics instability. Possible solutions are suggested below:
Check if you have the latest graphics driver installed on your PC
- Click here for where to obtain the latest Intel graphics driver
- Click here for where to obtain the latest AMD graphics driver
- Click here for where to obtain the latest Nvidia graphics driver
Note that you may need to install the latest Intel graphics driver manually (not by using Setup.exe) if you see this message: "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer".
To do this please follow these steps.
Check if you have Aero mode enabled (if you are using Windows 7 or Windows Vista)
See this article for the differences between Windows Aero and Basic modes and how to enable Aero mode
Check if you have a PC with Intel and Nvidia graphics cards (Nvidia Optimus). If so try disabling the Nvidia graphics card
- Check in your PC's BIOS to see if you can disable the Nvidia graphics card
- If there is no option in the BIOS, try disabling the Nvidia graphics card in Device Manager
If you are getting issues using applications that run in full screen mode (such as games)
Refer to this article for a solution.
If you experiencing a blank background on some (but not all) displays on a multiple display setup
Please see this article.