- The device is connected to a different USB port
- When you connect a different DisplayLink product to your PC for the first time
This issue is not specific to DisplayLink enabled devices; you will see this on any USB device such as USB Mice and Keyboards. However you can disable this behaviour for DisplayLink devices using the solution below.
To prevent Windows checking the Windows Update Web site for device drivers follow these steps:
- Right-click on the "My Computer" or "Computer" icon on your desktop
- Select "Advanced system settings"
- Select the "Hardware" tab and then select "Device Installation Settings
- From this dialog select "No, let me choose what to to"
- Select "Never install driver software from Windows Update
- Lastly select "Save Changes"
This can also be changed in group policy using the following instructions:
To disable automatic searching of Windows Update by using Group Policy
- Open Group Policy Management Editor.
- In the navigation pane, open Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings.
- In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Update device driver searching.
- To turn off searching Windows Update, click Enabled
- Click OK to save your settings.