DisplayLink provide a support tool that can check for common issues and gathers up system information, useful to DisplayLink in diagnosing problems. Before submitting a bug to DisplayLink, please follow the steps below to provide the right information.
The support tool produces a zip file containing information stored in plain text. The file and log text are not encrypted (apart from the DisplayLink software log files) to allow you to see what data has been collected.
These steps are for software version 2.0 onwards. KEXT legacy V1.x releases are no longer being maintained.
- Download the Mac DisplayLink support tool
- Optionally you can run the tool first in order to increase log verbosity. Go to menu Advanced, select the Log verbosity submenu and choose Debug or Verbose. The default value is Info, while Verbose is the maximum verbosity level. To make the verbosity change effective you need to unplug and replug the adapter.
- Run the tool again after the problem has occurred.
- Ensure the DisplayLink adapter is connected to your Mac
- Optionally you can select Full from the System Information Detail submenu in the Advanced menu. Full details are more likely to to capture the origin of an issue but take more time to gather.
- A .zip file will be created containing all the needed information
- By clicking on "Show File" the tool will be closed and the debug file will be shown and selected for you
- Close the tool and send the debug file to DisplayLink support, along with a description of the issue.
- If you increased the log verbosity reopen the tool and change it back to default value Info.
- DisplayLink Software installed
- DisplayLink devices connected to the Mac and status
- Basic mode: basic System Profile as shown by Apple System Profiler
- Full mode: full System Profile as shown by Apple System Profiler