DisplayLink Feature Suggestions

1. Black screens on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+ and Mojave 10.14 Early Previews

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139) and newer.

2,747 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2060 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

We are pleased DisplayLink 5.0.1 driver for macOS enables multiple extended display support on the latest Apple macOS 10.14.2 with additional features (clamshell and clone). We continue our strong support for the Mac platform and are working on delivering future updates with further performance improvements.
    Driver 5.0.1: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1257

If your DisplayLink enabled device does not seem to work on 10.14, this is most likely due to the OS blocking our kernel extension. Please ensure our kernel extension is enabled by the OS as described in our FAQ: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1188004

Should you still miss extended displays on latest macOS with latest DisplayLink driver, please create a support ticket so your particular case can be investigated. Here is how: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/755301

Due to changes in 10.13.4-10.13.6, it is not possible to enable DisplayLink extended displays, except one using Apple AirPlay. If your Mac is from 2011 running 10.13.4-10.13.6 and…

2. Support f.lux and Night Light on Windows

Flux will reduce the amount of blue light emitted by the screen which aids going to bed. As it stands, there is no support for color calibration to DisplayLink connected monitors. DCC/CI commands are supported, but there are issues that make it not a viable solution (http://superuser.com/questions/257606/is-there-a-work-around-to-configure-brightness-or-color-on-a-displaylink-monitor).

908 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    146 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support linux on ALL your devices

I just purchased a displaylink USB 3 based device; reading the forums I didn't pickup the difference between USB 2.0 being supported and USB 3.0 not being supported. This is nonsense. Content protection on the monitor, I don't care about being able to use protected content; I'd like to just be able to use the monitor I paid for. But no.

I think you should support Linux with USB 3.0 devices to use non-DRM content.

576 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    163 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ubuntu is now supported by DisplayLink and can be downloaded from here:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu

The Ubuntu driver is designed with open source components and packaging which enables it to be ported and distributed for other linux distros. DisplayLink does not intend to officially support more than Ubuntu. For more information, see our article here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/679060

If you have further suggestions about Linux support, please raise separate specific feature requests.

If you have any problems or need support, please use the Linux forum here:
    http://www.displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Please DO NOT use the comments thread to report problems. We have no way of following up on problem reports here. Use the forum instead.

4. 126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    67 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Better linux support

Better linux support, updated drivers, Fedora support (that means distributing an RPM)

Fix the issue where closing X for the first time means that the devices are no longer recognized by xrandr

Fix the slowness disparity between running it in linux and running it in windows

windows = no lag
    linux = lag

Improve your linux drivers.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Will you be supporting Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? Got an ETA?
    It would be great if you would add/post a deb or even better a ppa site.

Thanks,
    Dennis

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    50 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support Windows 10 Mobile Continuum

In the MS world, Disply Link support is good when running Windows on a laptop or a tablet. When it comes to Windows phones. it is the opposite: nothing, nada.

Ask Microsoft, They are so in need of trendy feature to boost their market share in mobile phone business, I am ready to bet they would finance the development.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add support for the VMWare SVGA Driver so that virtual machine guests can use display link

When using virtual machines it would be really handy to have them display via usb adapters on spare monitors or PIP overlays in fancy monitors.

Many virtualisation engineers would be buying your products, many times.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix the problem where DisplayLinkUserAgent eats 38% of my CPU

OS is windows 10, DLUA is 7.9.6.30.0. This often gets in a state where the user agent sets there using between 35 and 38% of CPU.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    79 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support Ubuntu 18.04

Hi I'm inquiring about when support for Ubuntu 18.04 and the Linux 4.15 kernel. I sent a paper letter to the Palo Alto office, but have not received a response.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    46 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Compatability

Making the software and hardware more compatible with Windows 10

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m marking this complete, as Windows 10 Anniversary update has the best compatibility for DisplayLink. This is due to a new interface for DisplayLink graphics developed between DisplayLink and Microsoft being available, as covered here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/525125

This thread is becoming a place for any user to post problems on Windows 10, hence marking it complete, rather than people expecting the problem they are seeing is being worked on. If you have problems getting the device to work on Windows 10, please refer to this article, and if this does not solve the issue, please contact us:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/942862

The original idea for this was to improve application compatibility with DisplayLink on Windows 10 under the new architecture. This is something we are looking into, with Microsoft. It is caused because DisplayLink now appears as its own video driver, rather than part of existing video cards. This means applications that use a…

12. very quickly release the drivers for Windows 10

Windows 10 gets released at the end of July. I am already using the Tech Review. There will be a big need and demand for a product like your to compatible with Windows 10 - even right now with those of us that have switched ove.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Use secondary graphics adapter for rendering as well

Laptops with two graphics adapters (Intel HD + dedicated) would highly benefit, if DisplayLink would render the data with the stronger graphics adapter as well.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This idea has been surpassed by the architecture update now available for DisplayLink in Windows 10 Anniversary update. The OS now has an interface for DisplayLink graphics to use the GPUs, and DissplayLink no longer has control over the GPU it can use.

This either makes the idea “complete” or “declined”. I’m marking “complete” assuming the OS now does this for the DisplayLink driver.

14. Problem with new version 7.9M3 - Office Protected View

I encountered a Problem with the new version 7.9M3 when opening Office documents from remote Location. I had to remove the "Protected view" functionality or alternatively store the document first on the local drive to be able to open the Office document.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 16.04 LTS is comming ... And Displaylink, are you ready ?

16.04 LTS release comming next month, The display link drivers for linux is ready for?
    The latest drivers support 14.04 LTS

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix the Linux driver so that it doesn't use 5-15% CPU when my DisplayLink device is _unplugged_.

When unplugged, I consistently (and continuously, not just short spikes) see the DisplayLinkManager process take up 5-15% CPU. I don't understand why it's using so much CPU when there's literally nothing for it to do. It's really hurting my battery life & performance.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Resolve the compatibility issue with Duet Display, Twomon, Spacedesk, etc.

After I purchased a USB Type C dock driven by DisplayLink technology for my laptop, a big issue derived: every time I want to use Duet Display with my iPad Pro or Twomon USB with my Pixel C, I would have to uninstall the DisplayLink driver before I plug any of my tablets. When I get home and try to connect to my dock, I would have to go through the setup process again. This is just a big inconvenience for people like me.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Examine why we need to re-install the drivers for displaylink for every patch or update to Windows 10.

Examine why we need to re-install the drivers for displaylink for every patch or update to Windows 10.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please allow the DisplayLink Driver to be disabled.

As someone who uses a dedicated GPU in alternation with the Integrated GPU. It is BEYOND frustrating when my Nvidia GPU will not switch on because of the DisplayLink driver software. There is no option in windows itself to turn it off, and there is nothing provided by DisplayLink either.

It cripples productivity when I have to UNINSTALL the DL driver just to use my dedicated GPU.

Please fix this before you guys release any additional updates as this has been going on for a LONG time now.

I love my AOC usb monitor. It's great, only after I install…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)