I suggest you ...

Fix "WindowServer [ERROR] - Unable to find display pipe for IOFB service: 18715" on MacOS

DisplayLink do not work properly with 4K screens @ MacOS 10.14. It looks laggy, jamming, like FPS drop.
I've described issue in details here: https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66349

110 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Planned  ·  AdminWim (Product Manager, DisplayLink) responded  · 

We’re aware of this error message and have investigated if there is any underlying problem or performance impact. We don’t believe that there any actual problem here, and this message is not responsible for performance issues reported in this thread.

However we can’t find a way to easily suppress the message. We know this is annoying and would like to stop it appearing so we’re continuing to look at ways to stop it.

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike McGinley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just curious... is anything being done to address this issue? Myself and about 10 other developers I know have the exact same issue. Running Mojave 10.14.3 and DOCK180USZ-52.

I was becoming more and more frustrated at the incredibly poor performance of my mac when connected to the Targus. After starting down the rabbit hole (like you all seem to have done), I wound up here. After a day or two of connecting, disconnecting, etc, the macbook's primary display will suddenly go black... and never comes back. I have to hold the power button down every time to get the display back up.

This is really frustrating as the only way to take advantage of the attached 4k monitors is through the (seemingly) buggy DisplayLink software.

Everyone in my office tested the process of uninstalling Display Link and it fixes the issue every time - but at the loss of 4k video and Ethernet/peripheral connectivity.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Wim thanks for your response after half a year! I'd like to believe it's because your busy with fixing issue.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And none of my connected monitors is running 4K.

Most reproducible error: trying to attach a file to an email in Outlook 365. The choose file window cannot spawn, beach ball ensues, and Outlook must be force quit. Removing DisplayLink fixes all of this. Console message described in OP is running like wildfire in Errors.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. 2016 MacBook pro is unusable with 5.1.1 drivers installed on MacOS 10.14.4.. It cannot spawn windows for many applications, resulted in frequent hangs. Had to uninstall.

• Aleksandar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here.

Macbook Pro Mid 2014
    OS X: 10.14.4
    The dock is a Targus Universal DV4K
    Display Link driver: 5.1.1

• Hami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue, found the same error log in console.app.

I'm using lenovo dock 40AF0135CN, Macbook Pro 13" (2018), connecting a 4K monitor.
    It's laggy and having FPS drop when using resolution "1920 x 1080" (which displays in retina mode).

I have to workaround by using 1080p (which displays in 2K mode, blurry and wasted my 4K monitor) but at least it allows me to continue using it.

Hope the next update on the driver will address this issue.
    Thanks!

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue with my Macbook Pro 15", running driver 5.1.32 and Mojave 10.14.3.

My dock is WL-UG69PD1.

• K W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry to post a me too, but... me too. Exactly as described.

Latest display link drivers (installed Jan 3, 2019).

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 228.0.0.0.0
    SMC Version (system): 2.36f97

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Graphics 540
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel
    Device ID: 0x1926
    Revision ID: 0x000a
    Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina
    Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should add: Late 2015 MBP w/ 16g of RAM. Issue occurs even immediately after restart, with no other applications running and no other noticeable noise in the logs.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not have a 4k monitor, but I am having the same issue.

System becomes laggy and unresponsive with displaylink monitor plugged in.

After a hang, dozens to hundreds of messages are spammed to the logs that look something like:

CoreDisplay
    [ERROR] - Unable to find display pipe for IOFB service: 12311

I am running Mojave with the latest (5.0.1) display link driver installed.

Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base