Fix the problem where DisplayLinkUserAgent eats 38% of my CPU
OS is windows 10, DLUA is 22.214.171.124.0. This often gets in a state where the user agent sets there using between 35 and 38% of CPU.
7.9 M5 release for Windows is now available from our download area. Please create a support ticket for individual investigation if you meet any issue.
DisplayLinkManager (106) uses up 30.01%. It is distributed amongst multiple cores but still seems pretty high.
Calum Yuill commented
DisplayLinkManager uses over 100% cpu in activity monitor on 2017 macbook pro 10.12.6, what's going on?
8.6 M1, still the same -h igh CPU usage on Win10 1607
Restarting the service as mentioned by Frank Loerpen was also required for me on Win7 and DisplayLink driver 8.5 M2.
Frank Lörpen commented
I tried suspending the DLUA process. Sometimes it works, sometimes the display gets very slow, sometimes for a minute, sometimes in perpetuity.
So I want to repeat the workaround suggested by Indranil Chandra:
When this cpu usage gets high, restart the displayuser agent service from services.msc then things are getting normal though there is a loss of display for a few seconds.
I am using the latest version as of today on Windows 7, and it uses one full core non-stop. This is ridiculous and needs to be fixed urgently.
I really appreciate your comment. To be honest, I cannot help anymore since 1) I'm on a corporate laptop and "Run the tool on your PC as administrator after the problem has occurred" is not an option and, 2) IT provided this very same week Thinkpad basic docks with mini-displayport to displayport adapters for our Lenovos T450, which completely mitigates the issue.
All comments stopped talking about DLUA long ago but complain about non-relevant stuff on machines where DLUA doesn't even exist.
If you wish your particular case looked at, you can tell us you're waiting for a third party to contact another third party to then maybe contact us or potentially give the data directly and cut the wait.
I'm on Windows 7 with DLUA 8.5.390.0, the latest version you can get today. Still, DisplayLinkUserAgent.exe service ubiquitously uses 100% of 1 core non-stop, and 50k (!!) page faults per second. Guys, how did you make this software?
Feels pretty annoying to interact with the computer: mouse pointer crawls to reach its destination, keypresses have a lag until they're displayed, laptop fan starts just because you're moving a window around.
You probably don't even go through this thread. That may explain why Global IT service from my company opened a ticket with Lenovo (>20k workstations with laptops) and banned the Thinkpad USB 3.0 Ultra Dock with DisplayLink until the issue gets clarified.
indranil chandra commented
I also had a high cpu rate even after using the lates 8.x version. It was eating up 25% of my CPU in Windows 7. After lot of pain, finally i have found a working solution. I found out when this cpu usage gets high if I restart the displayuser agent service from services.msc then things are getting normal though there is a loss of display for a few seconds. After the restart surprisingly the cpu is not getting high anymore and within limits.
Trivet Grunzen commented
Tried 8.5.3380.0 and still have high page fault rate.
Moreover, many other programs are now showing high paging activity.
It seems that the program is burning through pages at a high rate.
I'm currently forced to use this on Ubuntu 16.04, Windows 7 and Windows 10. Constant CPU high load (even when rendering animated small emoticon from MS Teams or Slack). On top of that, this crashes all the time on Ubuntu: USB stops functioning, XServer crashes and I lose all my opened stuff, external displays go black and so on... using the mouse is constant torture. I have no idea how stuff like this gets released in a such state. And how it is possible that there are vendors who use it for providing USB Docking Stations which then companies buy because... hey, who doesn't want a universal docking station. This makes my every work day a complete nightmare... Not to mention the pain I went through to get it working in the first time on Ubuntu because of dual display card machine (Intel + NVIDIA),
Mac on High Sierra 10.13.2 - DisplayLinkManager has been weighing on system even before the upgrade. Always hovers around 35% of CPU. Twice any other application. Often spikes to 50%.
Peter Sirois commented
WTF DisplayLink ... your crappy DisplayLinkManager software has been plaguing Mac CPU's for months, and you have no response? Get some courage - better yet, fix the problem
I'm having the same issue on macos high sierra. Why isn't there a fix on this?
I'm having the same issue. Windows 7. Driver version 8.2.1646. Whenever I dare unplug my dock, the DisplayLinkUserAgent completely pegs a core. It makes my mouse freeze up, as others have stated, and my laptop becomes nearly unusable. I don't have admin rights on my work laptop, so I have to reboot and start up all of my apps again.
Windows 7 pro on a Lenovo T430 . Recently upgraded and got complaint about USB3 driver incompatibility. When watching YouTube CPU goes wild and DisplayLinkUserAgent generates 50K Page Faults per second. Constraining the processes to one core and running a simple CPU hog on the same core at a lower priority reduced CPU load to about 10%. Total memory usage stays under 100 MB.
We did notice here that if you move all your files from your desktop to elsewhere else, the CPU usage returns to normal... then, if you move back the files, it stills ok.
I hate IT
Seems to be related to what is actually being rendered. I only get massive CPUs spikes when watching videos.
Problem still present with newest driver version 8.4 (pre-production)
Problem with 100% CPU is absolutely clearly related to network DisplayLink. Plug in and have 100% CPU, disconnect and CPU goes back to normal. Need urgently a solution as otherwise no monitor is available.