I suggest you ...

Linux wayland support

Displaylink does not seem to work with wayland yet, which is starting to be the standard, replacing Xorg, on linux soon:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefault
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)

Would be great if you could also support wayland!

287 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jan Rüegg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Started  ·  AdminWim (Product Manager, DisplayLink) responded  · 

Work for Wayland has now started. The development is now focusing on working with upstream to extend GNOME’s compositor, Mutter, to support hot-pluggable secondary displays, which will allow DisplayLink drivers to work with GNOME on Wayland.

The GNOME release that is likely to include the necessary changes would be the next stable release, 3.32.

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the current driver doesnt work so well even with 1804. there are cursor artefact with mine i.e. there is a square update issue on the cursor on the screen and it is annoyingly blocking out where the cursor is when it moves around. when i use my displaylink, i usually stick windows only. linux graphics issue will always be a problem with device like displaylink. if anyone buys it for linux, they will be disappointed by how wonky it is.

• Johannes W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've updated to gnome 3.32. Couldn't get HDMI to work but DisplayPort shows an image.
    However, it is lagging like hell . So for actual productivity work on the external display, no chance. Is this a specific case that only concerns me or is this considered as "normal" when using displayink with linux?
    I'm using the driver + evdi provided by the AUR.

• Philipp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that Gnome 3.32 released: did it make it in? A brief review of the changelog didnt make it clear to me.

Thanks for the work!

You should also support kde_wayland. Maybe you should work with libwayland which is used by many projects.

What about kwin?
    Another, unrelated, question... will a usb2 connection suffice for the docking station? :)

• gp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, thank you for the effort. Will this also work with KWin ?

I would like to use my DisplayLink adapter with Wayland. How the development is going?

• Christopher Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mir is dead and Ubuntu is moving to Gnome and Wayland. Wayland support will be necessary sooner rather than later.

• Sylvain Bougerel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wayland is not just a thing now, it's pretty much the default path of the majority of distributions for all recent laptops.

You should port DisplayLink to Wayland or this technology will become irrelevant.

• San Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah. I'm using gnome on wayland and it did not recognize my third display. Please add support driver for wayland.

Feedback and Knowledge Base