I suggest you ...

Fix some applications not running on laptop GPU

Hi since the Windows 10 Anniversary update games or utilities i have in Steam valve dont seem to use the GPU on my laptop but instead use intel graphic the laptop i have is a Lenovo Y50

107 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joshua Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The change is needed in the operating system kernel mode graphics driver. Microsoft has now planned this development for a Windows 10 future release.
    In the meantime, provided you have purchased a platform allowing you to, the workaround is to disable the low end GPU so Windows uses the only one left. Today, Windows will always use the POST graphics card.

63 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminAlban Rampon (Product Manager, USB Docking and Graphics Adapters, DisplayLink) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Daniel, you need to create a ticket with the logs (https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/533818-how-can-i-report-windows-issues-to-displaylink). Without data you can only get generic information. GPU works in any case so that message is, at best, misleading. Do you have a support case with DaVinci, if so, when you create your ticket by email with us, give contact details so we can contact DaVinci to understand what they rely on.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an Alienware R3 13" laptop, which has a Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU. When I connect it to my DisplayLink adapters and launch DaVinci Resolve 14, I get an error that the GPU won't work.

Any ideas?

• Joselito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mr. Alban Rampon, I'm from Brazil and unfortunately buyed a Dock Station 6000 from Dell in Brazil three weeks ago, you've said that this is a bug in Windows Operational System, and you CANNOT solve this for TWO YEARS! So, WHY DO YOU CONTINUE SELL YOUR PRODUCTS for Windows costumers aroud the world without this WARNING??? JUST STOP SELL or FIX IT!

Now, I cannot use my dedicated graphics card anymore, so I've a D6000 paper weight very expensive for Brazil reality!

• AdminAlban Rampon (Product Manager, USB Docking and Graphics Adapters, DisplayLink) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand the unsupported defamatory accusations from Elrond when transparency has been used from the start.

Windows uses the POST graphics card. Windows cannot select the POST card. POST is before Windows boots, that's at BIOS level. The OS is getting changed not to always use the POST GPU, and, when the change is done, an indirect display driver will be able to select GPU affinity.
        The GPU setting in the OS is for application rendering rather than display adapters and includes a bug.
        Currently, the work around is to use a direct display (ie. native laptop display) as primary or main display. That means keeping the lid open, for instance. Daniel confirmed that earlier in the comments.
        Unfortunately, very few people took the time to report this issue through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub so we had to wait until a computer manufacturer escalated this so it got prioritised.

• Elrond Luinwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@alban past over 2 years and still has been not resolved this problem, what kind a company is this? are you working really? or do you scam people? windows allowing to select post graphic driver in these days, always you mention windows to solve problem, what did you do to solve this problem? I hata DisplayLink because of this unresponsible status.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just dropped a good amount of money on a Targus thunderbolt 3 docking station to output from my Dell G7 15" to two HDMI monitors and it's defaulting to the Intel GPU and not the NVIDIA 1060. Hoping to get some assistance here, otherwise it's going back to Best Buy tomorrow.

• Ryan Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point I'm glad Amazon has a good refund policy. This is entirely unacceptable and this company refuses to do anything to assist with the fixing the issue.

• Aron Jancso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear DisplayLink staff!

Is there anything that we normal users can help you with the communcation with Microsoft?
        I recently bought a EMINENT dual monitor docking station for my workspace. Its hard to understand that my device cant work well thanks to this under process bugfix between DisplayLink and Microsoft.

Please tell us what to do.

Aron

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2018 now, and still having the same problem! I'm using D6000 dock. The problem is, I used to be able to play the games without issue using the port until recently there were a bunch of driver updates and BIOS updates from Dell that screw things up?

• eambo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: Tried setting some applications to use the Nvidia GPU with the April 2018 update,, and the issue persists via my D6000 dock. Sad times :-(

Hello,
        @Slava, the thing on the app being started sounds like the old Intel graphics bug on OpenGL pass-through. The GPU used cannot changed at run time. Just use an Intel direct display before starting the app if your machine is below 6th generation. If 6+, get driver from xx.60.xx.xx or xx.65.xx.xx driver where this is fixed.

@Elrond, @Eugene and others, yes it will. This is now on the roadmap and planned. The OS release it will be in depends on development progress and quality testing. Once I have progress updates and I am allowed to share it, I will.

• Slava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also having this issue, I have done several tests and if you start an app (which uses discrete graphics) before you connect DL dock it still running using discrete graphics, but only until you close it. Is there any ETA on repairing this bug from Microsoft?

• Elrond Luinwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alban could you show me a way? there ara lots of people having this issue, please make a deal with Microsoft for us.

• Eugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alban Rampon, will this ever get fixed? Please spare the excuses in your answer

• Daniel French commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*SOLUTION*

I had this issue as well but have discovered a solution. If your laptop has any form of appropriate video output (I have a Dell XPS which uses HDMI) you can use an HDMI or other appropriate cable to connect the output to one of your monitors and use the DisplayLink docking station/connection for the other. This will restore your laptop's ability to use the discrete GPU and run GPU-intensive applications such as SketchUp, Revit, etc.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base