I suggest you ...

Fix some applications not running on laptop GPU

Hi since the Windows 10 Anniversary update games or utilities i have in Steam valve dont seem to use the GPU on my laptop but instead use intel graphic the laptop i have is a Lenovo Y50

138 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Joshua Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Elrond Luinwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alban
    So you have reopened this issue, what do you suppose about problem solving? When will be relased the stable OS? Didn't fix the problem in Windows 10 19H1? I was planning to install Tech preview version but i'm not sure at the moment. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem - I have a Huawei Matebook X Pro. After updating to Windows 1903, my Nvidia card won't work when connected to the dock (it did prior to 1903). Like mentioned below, if I open my laptop and set the screen to the main display, then the Nvidia card works.

We need a fix for this fast. This is tremendously inconvenient.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the suggestion from Anonymous below stating to set the laptop display as the main display while connected to the docking station. This does work as they detailed (Thanks!) — games, etc. use the Nvidia GPU and I am able to change/move the application so it is displayed on a screen connected to the docking station. Once the application loaded, I turned off the laptop display and it still seemed to work without issue...however it's not hassle-free since I almost never use the laptop display when connected to the dock.

From this point, I tried to use the previous work around which was to plug the external display into the laptop via HDMI. After connecting the external display, I set the HDMI display as 'main' and my applications ran as expected without issue through the Nvidia GPU.

So with that, the original work around I was using still works, but now I have to set the HDMI external display as 'main' whereas I did not have to before. However, if I select the dock with DisplayLink as the main display, it crashes when launching. I'm not sure the original issue in this thread was resolved with the 1903 update.

One of our cleints uses BTO laptop (Build to order) with a Nvidia Quadro (forgot the exact type) and had the same issue where the Nvidia GPU would only be used when no docking station was connected. They use the HP USB-C Universal Dock.

After a lot of trial and error we found out that if we set the laptop display as main display the Nvidia GPU would be used correctly for applications like AutoCAD e.d. with any other display set as main display apps would always run on the Intel Integrated Graphics.

Maybe this helps some other people with this issue.

This was on the latest update before the 1903 update. Have not yet tried updating to 1903.

• Tara Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to add that I'm having the exact issue Rick posted about - Acer Aspire VX 15 gaming laptop. It has to be unplugged from the dock completely, cannot just bypass the HDMI.

Another laptop (MSI GS63) is still working with the HDMI bypass method.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my experience similar to those that have updated to 1903. I cannot get any games to work while plugged into a DisplayLink port replicator (HP3005) through the USB and an HDMI cable from the monitor connected directly to the laptop. I updated to the newest Nvidia Drivers, and the newest DisplayLink drivers. The GPU doesn't run the games, they crash right as they load (similar to everyone's experience below). I tried the Duplicate Screen work-around as noted by "Gil" with Windows+P, but it does not work, either.

Before this upgrade I could use the Nvidia GPU regardless if the port replicator was plugged in or not, I just had to connect the monitor via HDMI to the laptop directly. However, now even that doesn't work.

The only way any games work is if I use the laptop display without plugging any other display into it.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here, The applications crash and the control panel states I'm not connected to Nvidia hardware.

I can also confirm that games and the Nvidia control panel work when the screen mode in windows is set to duplicate and the games run when I switch to the second screen only but the Nvidia control panel reverts to stating I'm not connected Nvidia HW.

Im on a 1050 using the latest Nvidia drivers and Displaylink software

• Gil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I solved the problem by choosing 'duplicate' in the Windows screen selection. Windows + P
    After you have launched your GPU intensive app, you can switch back to '2nd screen only'

• Brendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I was hoping that the release of 19H1 would solve this problem but I'd like to add my name to the list. Pre 19H1, my games that were designated to run in High Performance (NVIDIA) would simply run in Integrated in a degraded state. Now those applications will not run at all, they crash instantly. I'm not sure if this is an NVIDIA issue, Windows issue, or Displaylink issue. It appears that the GPU selection is being preserved but the app is crashing. I have tried this with multiple games.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also updated to Windows 1903 today and my CAD software (Autodesk Fusion 360) will not even launch if I have both monitors plugged into the display link hub. It will launch if I right click and select launch with integrated graphics, but then the CAD is gimped. It works just fine with one monitor in the hub and the other directly connected to the laptop. This is all the exact same behavior as before the 1903 update.

Latest Nvidia drivers, latest displaylink drivers. Any ideas?

• razov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So after today’s update on Windows 1903, games directly crash after start. I’m running on latest nvidia drivers and displaylink version 9.1 M2. The game is listed just for a sec in the nvidia gpu activity window and then does crash...

Hello All,
    Will the solution to this problem also be available for Windows 10 LTSC 2019?
    LTSC 2019 ist based on Windows 10 1809.
    Thank you in advance

• AdminAlban Rampon (Product Manager, USB Docking and Graphics Adapters, DisplayLink) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eamonn, I would need to know what your testing it with and how you change the GPU affinity. The change was made a while back so it would be in any current 19H1 ring, slow and fast as we're so close to release.

The change was validated with Dolphin CAD/CAM, because it is known to use Windows APIs correctly. Before, when an indirect display was primary, it would use the Intel iGPU even when the Windows UI is selecting the external GPU, leading to slower computation.
    Now, the application renders using the secondary GPU regardless of which display is declared as "main display" when the high end GPU is selected in the Windows UI.
    The laptop manufacturer and Microsoft both closed the issue as fixed.
    There was no code change needed from us to address that issue.

(I am simplifying a bit as there are 2 activities here computing/composing and displaying, both can be done by different resources)

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a release or planned release date for DisplayLink drivers supporting this change? Waiting for the final build of 19H1?

This massively impacts my ability to use my 4k monitor, as all the load gets put on the CPU, and the frame rate of windows on that monitor slow to ~ 30. So I'd like it ASAP.

• Eamonn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alban, I believe I am running 19H1 in the insider fast ring and the issue persists. Is this update available for testing yet?

• Brendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that this is an old issue but can anyone from DisplayLink update us on working with Microsoft to resolve this? I saw a bugfix for 19H1 that says "We fixed an issue from the previous flight that caused consistent black screens when using Remote Desktop, DisplayLink, or Miracast if you are on an AMD or Nvidia driver." Does this mean the issue will be resolved with 19H1?

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need help getting a targus ACP70USZ to work with ubuntu. I cannot seem to download the correct drivers to get the laptop to see the other displays.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base