DisplayLink Feature Suggestions

1. Make DisplayLink driver available for installation and update from Ubuntu repository

Contact Canonical to make DisplayLink driver available for installation and update from Ubuntu repository, like AMD and nVidia driver packages.

436 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the Linux driver open source and get it into the kernel

If the DisplayLink driver existed in the kernel, it would be SO much easier for the users to get it working. In my role as Chief Digital Officer for a large company (of 8000 people), I would probably have bought 500 of these devices IF the driver were just upstream (you know, how Linux devices normally "just work" without the aggro common in the Windows world). However, the annoyance of a manual driver install, especially when it's broken on updates to newer kernels, is just something I wouldn't want to invest in. Please consider that proprietary drivers are serious impediment…

381 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Linux wayland support

Displaylink does not seem to work with wayland yet, which is starting to be the standard, replacing Xorg, on linux soon:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefault
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)

Would be great if you could also support wayland!

309 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The development in GNOME compositor, mutter, has now reached a milestone that allows people use DisplayLink driver with Wayland if they have GNOME 3.32.1 installed. The packages for Ubuntu 19.04 are currently waiting in “disco-proposed” repository and they should be included in normal updates soon. Interested users are welcome to enable Proposed (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed) and upgrade libmutter and gir1.2-mutter packages. For more information about the final fix, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/1826182

4. Support Night Shift and f.lux for Mac OS

As documented, there is work underway for Windows to support f.lux. However, I haven't seen any clear communication that support Night Shift of f.lux on Mac OS is in the works as neither are supported via DisplayLink. It would be really nice to have these options on Mac.

https://superuser.com/questions/257606/is-there-a-work-around-to-configure-brightness-or-color-on-a-displaylink-monitor)

293 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  33 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support linux with nvidia/amd drivers

support displaylink with proprietary drivers from nvidia and amd

221 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Linux: reach Windows feature parity (mirroring, scaling, and rotating)

Currently unsupported / broken in DisplayLink on Linux:

- Display mirroring
    - Display scaling
    - Display rotation

This really limits what you can actually do with DisplayLink on Linux - i.e. you can only currently have an extended display activated with no scaling or rotation. You can't even use only the DisplayLink connected display on its own.

216 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ubuntu drivers eating a lot of CPU. Not always but at least 50% of the times

I have actually a very slow PC because of this:
    PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    1541 root 20 0 2343424 51804 2624 S 111.9 1.4 198:49.14 DisplayLinkMana
    in other words, DisplayLinkMana(ger) eats a lot of CPU. from 50 to more than 100%

sometimes not.

I think this is an issue, that should be fixed.

Thank you.

alfonso

179 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix some applications not running on laptop GPU

Hi since the Windows 10 Anniversary update games or utilities i have in Steam valve dont seem to use the GPU on my laptop but instead use intel graphic the laptop i have is a Lenovo Y50

166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    108 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ARM linux support

Better Linux support, a direct driver for X11 and support ARM devices and not crypted logs.

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

EVDI is designed as an open source component to be adapted for different graphics architectures.

It is possible to already use DisplayLink on some embedded ARM platforms, as complied binaries are available in our distribution. Articles on how to do this on Raspian and Ubuntu MATE are here:

https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1883065-using-arm-binaries-on-raspbian-on-raspberry-pi
    https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1883068-using-arm-binaries-on-ubuntu-mate-on-raspberry-pi

The logs from the DisplayLink binary component are encrypted to protect IP. This is the same on all OSes for DisplayLink binary components.

10. Fix "WindowServer [ERROR] - Unable to find display pipe for IOFB service: 18715" on MacOS

DisplayLink do not work properly with 4K screens @ MacOS 10.14. It looks laggy, jamming, like FPS drop.
    I've described issue in details here: https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66349

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re aware of this error message and have investigated if there is any underlying problem or performance impact. We don’t believe that there any actual problem here, and this message is not responsible for performance issues reported in this thread.

However we can’t find a way to easily suppress the message. We know this is annoying and would like to stop it appearing so we’re continuing to look at ways to stop it.

11. Increased Mouse lag since the W10 Redstone / DP Driver 8.0 Update.

I have increased Mouse lag since the W10 Redstone / DisplayLink Driver 8.0 Update. I have a 3-screen Setup here. Surface Pro 3 + the DisplayLink USB Docking Station with 2 additional Screens. Working on those 2 external Screens got a bit tedious since the W10 Redstone / DisplayLink 8.0 Update. Maybe I´m too sensitive, but I feel enough mouse lag on the external Screens to slow down my daily work a bit. I´m using the DisplayLink Adapter since 2 years now and there were highs and lows regarding lag, but Version 7.9 on Windows 10 1511 was really good.…

119 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    43 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix linux driver scaling

Scaling doesn't work with the linux DisplayLink driver. This makes it impossible to use displays of different DPI together. By scaling I mean, for example:

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --auto --scale 2x2

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for VMware USB passthrough so guest OS can have dedicated display output

For DL-3xxx and DL-5xxx devices especially.

This is already working for MacOS but not working for Windows (as mentioned in DisplayLink KB 544870) and Linux.

This will allow multiple DisplayLinks to be used on single VM hosts behaving like thin clients, which is an enormous user base and thus market potential.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Android portrait

Add screen rotation to Android client. I have a display link monitor than can be turned to portrait mode. But, by default, my device displays in a box unless I turn the device to landscape... It then fills the screen. I would ask that the app allow me to hold the phone in portrait and display to my portrait monitor full screen. It does display correctly for a short time before rotating fully.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Alert to security issues if staying on older macOS

UPDATE macOS, abandon this unstable and insecure devices instead. Apple says DisplayLink is incorrect and opens you to a world of security flaws. I can open a port on the Ethernet using simple SSH commands that shouldn’t be that easy.

You advise not to update. Apple says the opposite and you are misleading customers into possible security issues. Reported and under review by Apple. Good luck, you have truly done your Apple patrons wrong in more than one way.

If you can’t build an alpha in a year, this beta should land about the same time I land on mars.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow gamma custom ranges in the Ubuntu driver to allow for night time color changes software to work (f.lux, Redshift, etc...)

Gamma color calibration seems to be unavailable for the Displaylink on Ubuntu.
    Allowing it will enable night time screen color changing software to work and also allow manual customization with xrandr commands.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Win-10 High-CPU

Get rid of lag and high CPU usage with in windows 10, while using a dock. I have seen Windows Driver foundation get as high as 62% when moving items on my screen.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve performance of rotated screens on Mac OS X

Improve performance of rotated screens on Mac OS X

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Gathering Feedback  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Samsung Dex compatability

Any chance that Displaylink could extend the Samsung Dex display?

It would be perfect, if that would work!

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. TLS on Driver Download from Website

Install a TLS cert so users can download drivers more safely

37 votes
    Vote