I suggest you ...

Support Ubuntu 18.04

Hi I'm inquiring about when support for Ubuntu 18.04 and the Linux 4.15 kernel. I sent a paper letter to the Palo Alto office, but have not received a response.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jason Costello shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris Peacock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, this is a weird one. I am using Ubuntu 19.04 and have correctly downloaded the display link drivers and it was working fine.....yesterday. 1 of my 2 screens is now black and will not display anything. I have not downloaded anything new, it was working this morning and then just stopped. I tested the screen on windows and it is working fine, so it isn’t a hardware fault. I uninstalled and re installed the drivers and still nothing. Any hints or tips that I haven’t thought about?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, has anyone else reported immediate resume after suspend or hibernate under kernel 5.18 and the new DisplayLink driver (5.1)? Reverting back to 4.4 DisplayLink fixed the issue.

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have the D3100 and have the DELL XPS 13 with preinstalled UBUNTU 18.04 (VERSION="18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver))

I have a DELL ultrasharp 34 monitor. And I am using the docking station to connect it to via HDMI.

I have downloaded the driver for the docking station, correct version and it seems to have installed successfully, and run the version as instructed ... but it doesn't seem to work ... the docking station seems to be connected but I get a bad signal with the monitor

The monitor gets 1/4 snow, 3/4 blue screen. 1/4 snow has a static background image of something ....but overall non-functional.

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have the D3100 and have the DELL XPS 13 with preinstalled UBUNTU 18.04 (VERSION="18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver))

I have a DELL ultrasharp 34 monitor. And I am using the docking station to connect it to via HDMI.

I have downloaded the driver for the docking station, correct version and run the version as instructed ... but it doesn't seem to work ... I get a bad signal with the monitor

The monitor gets 1/4 snow, 3/4 blue screen. 1/4 snow has a static background image of something ....but overall non-functional.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got it working, but very unstable for kernel 4.20. Any roadmap for driver to kernel 4.20?

• eclf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there,

I have a Linux machine (Ubuntu 18.04); I went through the steps to download and install the driver to for the DisplayLink device, but I am still unable to connect to the external monitors. Doesn't look like the device is being recognized at all. I've tried a bunch of things from the internet, but nothing seems to be working!

Could you please assist?

Cheers

How can you charge people money for a product that does mot work? It's a joke to get your driver installation to work in Ubuntu 18.X regardless of kernel version.

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a fix for this coming soon?

ERROR (code 3): Failed to build evdi/4.2.29. Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/make.log

scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_gem.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_gem.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    /var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_fb.c: In function ‘evdifb_create’:
    /var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_fb.c:369:33: error: ‘FBINFO_CAN_FORCE_OUTPUT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    info->flags = FBINFO_DEFAULT | FBINFO_CAN_FORCE_OUTPUT;
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_fb.c:369:33: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_connector.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_connector.o] Error 1
    scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_fb.o' failed
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build/evdi_fb.o] Error 1
    Makefile:1563: recipe for target '_module_/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build' failed
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.2.29/build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.20.0-042000-generic'
    Makefile:22: recipe for target 'all' failed
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I am using a laptop with one usb c displayport alt mode port and one hdmi port. I connect 2 external monitors to the laptop and another monitor via displaylink adaptor i.e. 4 monitors in total in windows 10.

However when I try to do the same within Ubuntu, using the displaylink adaptor as the FOURTH screen will cause all screens to go haywire, i.e. all 4 screens will display the same 'messy' screen. if I unplug the Hdmi monitor, i.e only 3 screens in total, everything goes back to normal.

So I suspect that Ubuntu havent been coded to handle 4 screens within this setup.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? is there a manual setting to override the display configuration?

The 18.04 installer doesn't work.

ERROR (code 3): Failed to build evdi/4.4.24. Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.4.24/build/make.log

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 18.04 installer doesn't work.

ERROR (code 3): Failed to build evdi/4.4.24. Consult /var/lib/dkms/evdi/4.4.24/build/make.log

• Adrian Gurney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@john111
    Unfortunately solution provided to disable "suspend on idle" did not resolve issue,
    #### Disable audio suspend
    * `sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa`. Comment out the line indicated below.

```
    ### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
    # load-module module-suspend-on-idle
    ```

Have two ThinkVision HDMI monitors connected by Displaylink, neither is detected.

• Vahid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Display-Link does not detect connected monitors on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. I used displaylink-driver-4.4.24.run.

• john111 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution found on the forum for those who have problems with monitors that goes on sleep mode randomly :

#### Disable audio suspend
    * `sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa`. Comment out the line indicated below.

```
    ### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
    # load-module module-suspend-on-idle
    ```
    https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...t=65476&page=2

• Adrian Gurney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Display-Link does not detect connected monitors -

Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Linux orion 4.15.0-39-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 23 15:48:01 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

displaylink-driver-4.4.24.run

• Vahid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DisplayLink 4.4 is not working on Ubuntu 18.04! I tried several times but without success.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base