I suggest you ...

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+ and Mojave 10.14 Early Previews

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139) and newer.

2,681 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TOULEMONDE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: July 30th
    Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

DisplayLink has worked for many months to maintain support for its users during the transition from macOS High Sierra to Mojave. While functionality such as Ethernet and audio or charging, where implemented, is unaffected on all releases, display connectivity has been limited on macOS releases from 10.13.4 through 10.13.6.

Developers/users with access to Apple’s fifth developer preview of 10.14 Mojave, released on 30th July, will see full support has now been restored for multiple extended DisplayLink displays where DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5 (http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=175) is installed. We are doing wide scale testing of v4.3 beta against this preview and will release a new driver upon general availability of 10.14.

Users of 10.13.4-10.13.6 should also use v4.3 beta 5 as it contains a workaround to enable one extended USB display (720p or 1080p). An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1854724

Users on macOS 10.13.3 and earlier should remain for the time being with DisplayLink driver 4.1 to maintain full extended display functionality.

We thank you for your extended patience, we continue to value your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
    Alban

1745 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone on the Mojave preview confirm is screen rotation is working again with displaylink? If not I will hold off upgrading since that is a necessity for me.

• n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates for the pre-2011 folks who are tethered to High Sierra and cannot anticipate the Mojave fix? We cant use Airplay so still SOL even with the various workarounds

• AdminAlban Rampon (Product Manager, USB Docking and Graphics Adapters, DisplayLink) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, if you have DisplayLink 4.3 beta 5 with Mojave Preview 4 (Beta 5) and are experiencing black external displays with only the mouse cursor even after reinstalling the driver, please create a ticket with your logs as described in https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/755301. We don't have the reproduction internally to analyse yet so logs are necessary to give hints on what could be going wrong.

• Matt Cramp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And for those noticing that they can only mirror and the resolution is not adapting to the new screen: we've noticed that AirPlay is interrupting DisplayLink's workaround. If you turn wi-fi off before you plug in, the DisplayLink driver will connect properly; you can then use the AirPlay menu in the notifications area near the clock to use it as an extended screen. (You can turn wi-fi on afterwards.)
        Make sure that a) the DisplayLink driver has been authorised as a system extension in the Security and Privacy system preferences screen, and that the DisplayLinkUserAgent has been approved in the Privacy > Accessibility tab of the same screen.

• jp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For all of you on 10.13.6 who are having problems with the v4.3 beta 5 not working with airplay, I followed the tip from Anonymous 7/31 @10:27 and went into system preferences/security/general and checked for software blocked from loading. Sure enough DisplayLink was listed there and as soon as I unblocked it and did a restart the USB display showed up in airplay and worked perfectly. I'm on a late 2012 MacMini I7 2.6 quad core.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macbook Air, 10.13.6. Ran through all of the steps to install the driver and it's a blank screen. It's being detected by the monitor, but no option to select the monitor from the airplay dropdown so the monitor remains dark. Any ideas?

• utk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10.13.6 on v4.3 beta 5 mirrors the display, but does not allow to extend. As mentioned in the post, the resolution too is a problem.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RJR I've noticed the solution got unstable on 10.13.6. Sometimes it simply won't airplay to DisplayLink. I usually see this happen when I leave the system locked and the screen goes to stand-by for a while. Then I have to turn the dock station off and on (sometimes multiple times) to get it back to work.

• DW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

4.3 beta with Mojave Preview 4 (Beta 5) works perfectly for me using two different DisplayLink docking stations on my 2012 MacBook Pro 13. Apple finally saw this as a bug, and while they won't fix it in High Sierra, I wouldn't hesitate to use Mojave at this point, as it is stable.

• RJR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, no longer can connect HDMI cable to independent monitor

• RJR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

on 10.13.6 the solution above no longer works, the AirDisplay no longer allows you to select a monitor

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

• Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using macOS 10.13.6 and v4.3 beta 5 and a Dual-4K Docking Station from StarTech.com (DK30A2DH). I get on startup the message "DisplayLink Graphics Driver is running in clone mode". Both displays show the cloned built-in display, but I don't get the option to use them as separate displays. Nothing happens when I click on "AirPlay link to: DisplayLink" as described in the FAQ. If I connect the device after the login as described in the FAQ I still get the message, but there is no DisplayLink to select for AirPlay.

• Arthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mojave developpers beta 5 here (18A347e), and still getting blank screen with the cursor. The kernel extension consent is disabled, so it's not the issue, and this is a fresh macOS install. (`spctl kext-consent disable` in recovery). Since everything is working for some user, this is not an Apple issue anymore, but definitely a bug in the drivers. Fix your crap, and track the bugs/resolution correctly: it's getting ridiculous.

All is working with beta 4 of Mojave and beta 5 of displaylink drivers.
        Extended displays are back. Thanks!

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MacBook Pro w. TB 13" 2018, Mojave beta 4 (public) and 4.3.0.5:
        2 extended Displays are back, but one is not recognized correctly, the resolution can not be adjusted.
        Tested with different screens and cables.

I am downloading what its calling 4.3.0.5 but still only get a black screen with a mouse courser.

I am downloading what it is calling 4.3.0.5 but still only get a black screen with a mouse courser.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10.14 Mojave public beta 4 (released today) is the same as the fifth developper preview. It's working perfectly on my macbook air 11" mid-2012 with DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5.

It's been a long ride without my 3rd monitor, especially as my 11" macbook doesn't provide me with much space to work on.

I recommend you go to https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ and download the latest public beta of Mojave. It's free and you don't need to be a developer. It's running perfectly smooth on my Mac and the new dark mode alone is worth upgrading.

Feedback and Knowledge Base