I suggest you ...

Black screens on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+ and Mojave 10.14 Early Previews

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139) and newer.

2,747 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TOULEMONDE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

We are pleased DisplayLink 5.0.1 driver for macOS enables multiple extended display support on the latest Apple macOS 10.14.2 with additional features (clamshell and clone). We continue our strong support for the Mac platform and are working on delivering future updates with further performance improvements.
    Driver 5.0.1: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1257

If your DisplayLink enabled device does not seem to work on 10.14, this is most likely due to the OS blocking our kernel extension. Please ensure our kernel extension is enabled by the OS as described in our FAQ: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1188004

Should you still miss extended displays on latest macOS with latest DisplayLink driver, please create a support ticket so your particular case can be investigated. Here is how: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/755301

Due to changes in 10.13.4-10.13.6, it is not possible to enable DisplayLink extended displays, except one using Apple AirPlay. If your Mac is from 2011 running 10.13.4-10.13.6 and can’t update to macOS 10.14, you should remain with DisplayLink macOS driver v4.3.1 to enable one extended USB display using AirPlay, with additional displays cloned. An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1854724
    Audio and Ethernet functionality, where supported, stays unaffected in all versions.

We thank you for your feedback on DisplayLink products that helps us further improve our product offering.

Kind regards,
    Alban

2036 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using
        - Macbook Pro 2018 (Mojave 10.14.2)
        - Asus MB169B+ (USB Display)
        - DisplayLink Driver v5.0.1
        After several trials of downloading and installation of driver 5.0.1,
        it still is black-screened and no sign of any airplay on the menu bar as well.

Can you please resolve this problem? It is quite frustrating..

• Tivo389 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 and wanted to share the outcome.

Setup:
        - Mac mini 2018 (10.14.2)
        - Asus MB169B+ (USB Display) x2
        - DisplayLink Driver v5.0.1

Outcome:
        - Both screens can be now used as extended displays. (^-^)b
        - Previously the screens would just mirror and not allow extension.

• Tomek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2018 MacBook pro 15 + external ThinkPad USB-C dock + 4k display hooked in now works on 10.14.2, but the framerate is terrible. Is there a driver update planned to resolve that?

Hi, I've waited months for this update and it still does not work. I am on 10.14.1 and still have black screens after installing the driver. I don't understand how you can state that the issue is fixed - I am not the only one reporting this as you can see from the other comments.

• Erick Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With macOS 10.14.2 and DisplayLink Drivers 5.0.1 I still can't use my Dell D6000 dock. Only the mouse cursor will display on my monitors, no apps or windows. I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro 2018.

• Mark D'Angelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any plans to fix the driver for 10.13.4-10.13.6? Or is the "workaround" the permanent solution now? I have a 2010 iMac so I don't have airplay and can't upgrade to Mojave so I have just been stuck at 10.13.3 because I don't want to lose my other monitor. However, I constantly get a white screen on the DL monitor and that has been super annoying. Was hoping an updated driver for High Sierra would fix that too. Thanks!

• Tivo389 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I look forward updating to 10.14.2 and really hope the connectivity issue is resolved, or I would have no choice but to return the products and avoid DisplayLink.

I had 2 USB displays, but it seems the connectivity bug will not allow for multiple extended displays which really affects the work-flow.

Mac mini 2018 (10.14.1) + Asus MB169B USB Display x2
        Driver v5.0.1 = Did not solve issue (Black screen with only cursor)
        Driver v4.3 Beta = Partially solved (Allows for 1 screen to be used as an extended display, any more displays just mirror the 1st.)

Seems to be true about stability, yesterday I had working my two monitors, today i unplugged the computer and didn't work again.. sadly I will return the product to Amazon

• Time for action commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Never ending, DL can’t solve a GPU workaround bug from 2016 and we pay the price?

Your product is useless without stability and this company has an obligation to make that right. Together, we can collect what’s rightfully ours. (A $12 adapter can do what your product does anyhow, and without your data collection).

If you have purchased a product that does not perform functions advertised then we have over 2,500 advocates for a class action suit right here.

After the way the developers have asked for no help in releasing hacked up code to dance around a feature Apple gave ample time to address in 2016 is ludicrous. It not only undermines the ethics of software and hardware development but is downright rude to consumers.

You’ve effectively released many versions of software that by nature is a vulnerability. Apple tried to help, now it’s completely on DL and DL alone.

• jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm quite surprised that no one from DL have answered my question on _why DisplayLinkManager.app has such high CPU usage_. Is it by design? If so, why? Using two cheap dedicated DP->USB-C dongles is both faster, more reliable and doesn't burn my CPU in the way that DL does.

However, I found a way to force using the dedicated GPU in my MacBook Pro which improves responsiveness a bit. Just uncheck the "Switch graphics card automatically" in Energy settings.

So, for those occasions when my screens work with the DL dock, there's another frustrating moment that hasn't been there before: somehow Mojave thinks that my screen is being shared, which disables the auto unlocking feature from my Apple Watch. Apparently the solution is to… uninstall DL driver. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8601456) Which raises the same question I've been trying to get an answer to in the first place: how is this solution implemented? How come are two cheap dongle adapters a faster, more stable and more compatible solution than a $300+ DL-based docking station?

Waited about a year, silently, for the quiet after the storm.... and here it is! Just upgraded and everything is working like a charm!! Stayed at 10.13.4 for the longest time and had time machine ready in case anything went wrong, currently running 10.4.1 and all is perfect. Only hurdle were my Corsair mechanical keyboard drivers, but that was a Mojave with Corsair issue. Thanks for a great solution! It was worth the wait! :)

• Stephen Prensky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated to High Sierra MacOS 10.13.4 and installed displaylink driver 4.3.1. The external display that is using the Displaylink device is now mirroring the built-in laptop display instead of serving as a desktop extension, as it did under MacOS 10.10.5.

Is there a fix?

• AdminWim (Product Manager, DisplayLink) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Amin - daisy chaining requires Mac to support DisplayPort MST, which is nothing to do with DisplayLink technology. DisplayPort MST is not supported by Macs I think. Are you sure you have a DisplayLink dock, and not a USB C alternate mode dock, which would need MST support on the host computer to support 2 displays daisy chained?

• Amin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jacob, true. I sometime have the same behaviour. The thing that I'm really missing is DaisyChaining. Basically I would like to connect the USB-C cable (which is connected to a HP dock) and get 2 monitors extended. Right now the only setup that works for me is to use HDMI for 1 monitor and DP for the other one. Above that the HDMI port on HP dock is sort of mirrored to DP. So I had to add a dongle between HP dock and Mac that provides a HDMI port. It's a messy setup and I would like to get rid of the dongle and hopefully mad fans on Mac.

• jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Amin: There's an explanation for that, see my 2 comments written on Nov 9th. Although we still haven't heard a word from DisplayLink on WHY DisplayLinkManager behaves like this.

Unacceptable product and customer support.

• Amin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MP2018. on v5.0.1 and Mojave 10.14.0 and my fans are like ppffffffffff

• C Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Displaylink has been broke many times prior to Mojave and after Mojave.....is there any chance you will get fixed so this can remain stable....

• Robt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot install driver 5.0,1 -- the installer says it's a downgrade and won't allow it.

• banoney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all! I used to check this forum everday... stopped checking with Mojave out. My company finally released it to the general pop and worked great at first. But since I haven't been here awhile, I assume this may have already been asked?

But is anyone else having issues unlocking their Mac with their Apple Watch? I get the error "can't use apple watch to sign in because you are screen sharing". I unplugged my thinkpad usb3 dock and apple watch worked fine. plugged it back in and got the same error. Is this a known issue? (anything I search on DisplayLink seems to refer to older Mac OS's which for me worked fine before High Sierra but now it's an issue with Mojave).

Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base