I suggest you ...

Black screens on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+ and Mojave 10.14 Early Previews

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139) and newer.

2,747 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
TOULEMONDE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

We are pleased DisplayLink 5.0.1 driver for macOS enables multiple extended display support on the latest Apple macOS 10.14.2 with additional features (clamshell and clone). We continue our strong support for the Mac platform and are working on delivering future updates with further performance improvements.
Driver 5.0.1: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1257

If your DisplayLink enabled device does not seem to work on 10.14, this is most likely due to the OS blocking our kernel extension. Please ensure our kernel extension is enabled by the OS as described in our FAQ: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1188004

Should you still miss extended displays on latest macOS with latest DisplayLink driver, please create a support ticket so your particular case can be investigated. Here is how: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/755301

Due to changes in 10.13.4-10.13.6, it is not possible to enable DisplayLink extended displays, except one using Apple AirPlay. If your Mac is from 2011 running 10.13.4-10.13.6 and can’t update to macOS 10.14, you should remain with DisplayLink macOS driver v4.3.1 to enable one extended USB display using AirPlay, with additional displays cloned. An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1854724
Audio and Ethernet functionality, where supported, stays unaffected in all versions.

We thank you for your feedback on DisplayLink products that helps us further improve our product offering.

Kind regards,
Alban

2052 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jerry Kaplan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am running 5.0(42) and it is enabled in "extensions". I have a new MacAir 2018 running 10.14.3. When I try to instal DL 5.0.1 I get the following error: When it gets to "Select a Destination", My Macintosh HD has a yellow triangle (!) on it, and the message says: "DisplayLinkDriver can't be installed on this disk. isDowngrade".

What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

• bwcathe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Toshiba Dynadock which is now working on Mohave 10.14.2 on Mac Air Retina with the display drivers and 5.0 driver download, however, the USB sound is no longer working? It was working fine with the prior driver and everything else is working such as the USB external hard drive port and my wireless mouse. Sound works with every other speaker system including the onboard speakers and a USB attached Jabra. I also tried it with a 2017 Mac Air with the same results. Anyone else with this experience?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having same issue here.

I've installed DisplayLink driver v5.0.1 and am on Mac OS X 10.14.2 on a MacBook Pro 15in 2018. Using two Dell P2719H displays and the 2nd (connected via display port) stays black. I've reverted to just connecting the 2nd display to another USB-C port on the MacBook with a USB-C to HDMI adapter. It kind of makes the use of the dock pointless.

Please fix this!

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alban, I have installed 5.0.1. I am now receiving this message upon waking my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014):

Unlocking with Apple Watch is not available while your screen is being shared

I contacted Apple and we confirmed that this is specific to my Asus external monitor. When I unplug it, I am able to unlock with the Apple Watch. When I plug the Asus monitor back in, I receive the "Unlocking with Apple Watch is not available..." message again. Please advise.

• Just give up and refund us. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. It’s nearly 2019 and you still are working on the migration to High Sierra and not from it, as stated.

No minimum viable product has been available to us for over two years for some models. Is this how things are going to continue?

With the hacked together workaround “drivers” that have caused widespread system damage and battery swelling, I have to ask why you haven’t asked for help or open sourced the code.

Pathetic bunch you are. Not in my ten years as a dev have I seen such gross negligence in the industry. You owe us a mvp, or we can sue you.

It's been about a YEAR. At this point you need to explain what the holdup is in plain language.

• jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone from DisplayLink answer my basic question that I've been asking a couple of times before on this very forum: why does DisplayLinkManager.app have such high CPU usage? Is it by design? If so, why? Using two cheap dedicated DP->USB-C dongles is both faster, more reliable and doesn't burn my CPU in the way that DL does. It doesn't matter if I use dedicated or integrated GPU – the lag is very obvious when using for example Exposure.

A couple of "bugs":
    - unlocking with AppleWatch doesn't work when displays are connected via dock
    - NightShift doesn't work when displays are connected via dock
    In both cases it works when using basic dongles.

Why, and when will this be fixed?

I have a macbook pro 2018 (without touchbar) with two usb c ports. One is connected to the thinkpad USB-C dock.

(Link: https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock/p/40A90090US)

I use two samsung monitors (Tried both DVI cables and one DVI + one HDMI cable). The two screen just mirror with the lid closed. When the lid is open, the mac shows screen 1 and both the monitors mirror screen 2.

I would like to use two displays with different screens (1 and 2) with the lid closed. How can I achieve this?

Mac OS: 10.4.2
    Display Link driver : 5.0 (42)

I have two monitors both connected using DVI cable. I can only mirror both monitors, not extend it. How can I sort this issue out?

Regards,
    Vivek

• JackJackie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The DisplayLink 5.0 (42) version is still not working for me on a 2018 Macbook Pro 15" running MacOS 10.14.2 with a USB-C dock. DisplayLinkDriver Kext is enabled and running, but still black screens with only a cursor.

I had to get back to good old VGA cables, but that is of course not the preferred way in 2018. Can you please resolve this issue?

Thx, Jack

• f a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Night shift is not working with new 5.0.1 drivers, WavLink with 3900 chip over HDMI.

Otherwise, the 5.0.x fixes are very much appreciated!

• Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MacBook Pro 13 2017 with MacOS 10.14.2
    2xSamsung S22C200 Displays
    DisplayLink Driver 5.0.1

Displays are shown in both "About This Mac -> Displays" and "System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement";
    External displays stay black, only mouse cursor can be moved over the black screen.

System Information -> Hardware -> USB -> USB 3.0 Bus -> USB 2.0 Hub -> Mouse and Keyboard..both works
    System Information -> Hardware -> USB -> USB 3.1 Bus -> USB 3.0 Hub -> Kensington USB3.0 2X Video Dock
    System Information -> Software -> Extensions -> DisplayLinkDriver Version 5.0 (42) is loaded

With Windows 10 Laptop instead of the MacBook it works.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am running
    - Macbook Pro 15 Retina mid-2014 (11,2) (Mojave 10.14.2)
    - Asus PB277Q and have tried other monitors as well. All with the same results.
    - DisplayLink Driver v5.0.1

I originally tried to run these monitors through DL on Mojave 10.14.1. The system shows that they are connected in display properties but that is as far as it goes, just a blank, black screen. Then loaded DL USB driver hoping for a Hail Mary but with no change, updated to 10.14.2 with no change. I have reset the NVRAM, & SMC, tried SafeMode, all with the same results. Looking at the Software Extension it is enabled as well. I would really like to run the monitors with DL!

I have tried different monitors, cables, and adapters. The monitors all work great with Windows10 based systems.

This is not working for me on a 2018 Macbook Pro 15" running MacOS 10.14.2 with a Dell D6000 USB-C dock. I also installed the 5.0.1 displaylink drivers after upgrade to be sure and it still does not work. Just a

I'm using
    - Macbook Pro 2018 (Mojave 10.14.2)
    - Asus MB169B+ (USB Display)
    After several trials of downloading and installation of driver 5.0.1,
    it still is black-screened and no sign of any airplay on the menu bar as well.

Can you please resolve this problem? It is quite frustrating..

• Tivo389 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 and wanted to share the outcome.

Setup:
    - Mac mini 2018 (10.14.2)
    - Asus MB169B+ (USB Display) x2

Outcome:
    - Both screens can be now used as extended displays. (^-^)b
    - Previously the screens would just mirror and not allow extension.

• Tomek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2018 MacBook pro 15 + external ThinkPad USB-C dock + 4k display hooked in now works on 10.14.2, but the framerate is terrible. Is there a driver update planned to resolve that?

Feedback and Knowledge Base