I suggest you ...

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139)

1,193 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TOULEMONDE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

Update: April 13th

Installing macOS release 10.13.4 will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade when using our driver v4.1. (Functionality such as Ethernet and/or audio, where implemented, is unaffected.) Extended display support continues to work as expected in mac OS 10.13.3 and that is why we recommend you stay on 10.13.3 for now, if you have not already upgraded.

For users that have already upgraded to 10.13.4, we have released 4.3 Beta 2, which enables cloning of the native display on DisplayLink connected screens. We do not regard this as a long-term solution and will continue to pursue any paths to restore extended display support on macOS. The 4.3 Beta 2 release can be downloaded from http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1131.

As we use our own technology every day, we truly understand that this loss of functionality on the OS upgrade is very frustrating. We are continuing to explore with Apple routes to a solution. In the meantime, our teams are working hard analysing potential workarounds, which could enable some level of extended desktop functionality in 10.13.4. Finding a solution to this issue continues to have the highest priority within DisplayLink, and we are providing any support we can to our mac teams.

Unfortunately, we are not yet able to give a date for delivering a solution but we will continue to update you on this thread as soon as we have further information to share. You can also use the contact form to create a ticket with your email address and ask to be added to an email list dedicated to this issue.

We thank you for your patience as we work this problem.

629 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dr. Escribano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DL customers, open your eyes, this is a new reality; Apple disable USB 2 and USB 3 video output to force the USB C standard. Things can be worse and they know how to. The MST protocol continue disable, allowing only one monitor per port. Is this a rotten Apple or what ?

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution for DL posted:

Step 1. Buy a new Mac with multiple USB C ports
        Step 2. Buy new video cables for your monitors
        Step 3. Discard your useless DL Device
        Step 4. Never trust again in DL or Apple
        Step 5. Move on with your life

This solution works 100%. I tried yesterday and so far no issues. I'm $3,000.00 poorer but, happy again !

• Paul Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I rolled back to 10.13.3 using Time Machine but bear in mind it can take aaaaaages. 8 hours in my case. All working fine now.

• Steve M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apple Genius Bar could not downgrade my OS from 10.13.4 to 10.13.3, so I did some digging.

Found out it is possible to roll your Mac OS X to a previous version using Time Machine:
        https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25593?locale=en_US

When you restart and hit Command-R, choose Restore from Time Machine. A menu will tell you which version of Mac OS X exists on your Time Machine backup drive.

Release date for 10.13.4 is March 29, 2018, for those of you who want to enter your Time Machine and check if you have backups prior to this date.

For those without Time Machine backups, please see the excellent post from Eamon S of April 8, 2018 (bottom of https://support.displaylink.com/users/775201963-eamon-s). Thank you Eamon!

Keep up the good work DisplayLink. It's not your fault. Apple is a behemoth whose dominance in the market causes turbulence if Tim Cook even sneezes. The rest of us can only react.

• Josh P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Displaylink, a bodgy sort of workaround could be to have your driver create an internal AirDisplay sink, which will give you access to a new screen's worth of pixels which you can then push out to the usb device. It probably wouldn't work as well as it used to, but could be better than nothing?

I know you guys have been working on this since the betas came out, but the fact it's been this long is a pretty good sign that (barring some help from apple) that things might not go back to how they were.

I'm sticking to 10.13.3 at the moment which works great, I'd love to replace this machine with a MacBook when it comes time to upgrade, but if I can't connect more than one display to it I'll have to get a MBP instead.

Thanks for all your effort, keep it up!

• Eamon S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup unfortunately, USB3 to Video is not a reality. Feels like we are in the 60s with the Apollo missions waiting to see if our boys will make it back in one piece, as we are all on edge.

Splitting TB2 for video unfortunately, there's not enough bandwidth to deliver a quality output. If you're like me with 4k and 5k screens then it's going to be a big downgrade in what you see.

So it comes down to moving to a machine with usb-c builtin and more hdmi outputs.

Lots of Zs floating around puts me to sleep reading but as always Clark is spot on, only thing I'll add to Clarks response is that the quality will be poor if you have high res screens or needs a refresh rate at 60Hz or more, might need to install switchres to make adjustments to the refresh rate.

I'm looking on ebay etc to see if I can get a 2k15+ imac and sell my current one2. Unfortunately, I have to disappoint everyone one here. There really is not solution to this issue. I read it's actually part of apple's firmware which means that this problem is actually much much much bigger than what we really think, This is embedded at boot time, i'm not sure how DL can get pass that without having to disable all the security and disabling SIP for good/perm to fix it.

Realistically this is the end of the road. Either get a machine with multiple hdmi sockets, if you have more than 1 TB2 port use the TB2 to HDMI adapter, or like before get a machine which is TB3/USB-c enabled.

So if you came here looking for an answer this is it.

Guys there is no fix that DL will be able to achieve. The update updates the hardware boot and remapps to new.

TC, off to buy a new mac.

• Finy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My solution: got a new mac, thank you DL for being so professional. Thank god I don't have a factory or something like that, I can't image the impact this issue is causing.

I went to the Macstore and made the guy basically open all the bricks, extensions, cables etc and nothing, nothing worked. The guy at the store was super nice and didn't charge me to open all those boxes.

• andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

displaylink has this handled. Today is the day where they will take the last status update rotate the paragraphs in it and then republish it as the new update!

I feel better already! (sarcasm font)

• Bob Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well another week and this loser company still doesn't have the decency to put out an update. Regardless of who's fault it is where everyone wants to blame each other, a company should have the balls to update their customers. Again, Apple puts out the information well in Advance and allows you to test before they release their updates and this company did nothing. I'm assuming they just want to go bankrupt at this point if this is their bread and butter. If they could make it work with one monitor so quick they can certainly figure out the rest if they were really trying or again at the very least give some freaquent updates.

• Bob Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well another week and this loser company still doesn't have the decency to put out an update. Regardless of who's fault it is where everyone wants to blame each other, a company should have the balls to update their customers. Again, Apple puts out the information well in Advance and allows you to test before they release their updates and this company did nothing. I'm assuming they just want to go bankrupt at this point if this is their bread and butter. If they could make it work with one monitor so quick they can certainly figure out the rest if they were really trying or again at the very least give some frequent updates.

• Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gail - Do you have a DisplayPort available on your monitors? If so, StarTech has a ThunderBolt 2 to Dual DisplayPort adapters. You could connect the DisplayPorts on the monitors to the T2 adapter, then to the T2 port on your MacBook. I have no affiliation with StarTech but I have done a bit of research on this issue as their T3 to Dual HDMI adapter may be the solution I opt for if Apple and DisplayLink don't come up with a solution. Please do some research and even call the folks at StarTech because they are very helpful. I hope this helps.

• nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm new to macOS, can anybody tell me what do I need to bring back my second monitor? I have two monitors, first monitor connected with thunderbolt and second monitor was connected with DL adapter since DL adapter is not working, what adapter I can use to bring back my second monitor?

I'm using:
        MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)
        here is the detail specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?locale=en_US

• Si God commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just about to invest in approximately 150 Displaylink docks for rollout at my company, where we have a mixed environment of PCs and Macs. This issue is destroying my confidence in DisplayLink hardware being "usable" in a business environment.

It's crappy that Apple have such a Draconian approach to hardware support (and how it will affect their users) but equally crappy that the founders of a hardware standard that is supposedly built to be flexible and compatible, is not better organised or proactive in supporting its user base.

Can you please give an ETA on when up to date drivers will be available for the expensive Apple toys? Otherwise I've got to look for an alternative.

• Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alban-It's been a week since your last update, can you share any news?

• Gail Welch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tech question - I think I know the answer but wanted to check with the more technical folks here - I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - Two USB 3 ports and 1Thunderbolt 2 port.

I think my options are (from reading your very informative posts):

1. buy a new MAC OR
        2. buy a docking station
        3. wait until hell freezes over for a DL solution

I already got operational again from restoring from a time-machine backup and THANK YOU for all the tips.

Thanks in advance

GBW

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so... is the answer an eGPU?

Obviously apple nuked the old model in their efforts to pick a winner (eGPU). Have a 2017 MBP 13 w/4 USB-C, running 3 Dell DVI 1920x1080 (2x23, 1x24) displays via a basic iogear dock. Worked flawlessly. Using an Startech (DisplayLink) usb32dvipro for 1 (via doc USB 3.0 on dock), and the other two via adapters [usb-c to DVI and DisplayPort (built into dock) to DVI.]

2@1920x1080 and 1 cloned at MBP display settings running at 'More Space' (haven't found a display modification utility that gets all the way to 1920x1080), all attached to a great three monitor mount with one stand. Great setup.

So as it stands, looks like the only options are: 1) move to an apple recommended eGPU with a usb-c connection to maintain three (or even a fourth) external displays. OR 2) dropping down to two monitors (larger, wider, etc)?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

Feedback and Knowledge Base