2. How to stop using the DisplayLink Manager App 0.5 Beta and go back to the classic driver
3. Do I need to uninstall the classic driver (DisplayLink Software 5.x.x) before trying the DisplayLink Manager App 0.5 Beta?
4. How to use the new DisplayLink macOS App
6. Current DisplayLink Manager app scope and limitations
7. How to share your feedback on the app
1. Introduction: what is the DisplayLink Manager app for macOS?The DisplayLink macOS app or DisplayLink Manager app is a new way of enabling DisplayLink technology on macOS using a much simpler architecture. Today, the app is available as a standalone installer. In the future, the goal is to also distribute the app through the mac App Store to make deployment even simpler.
As the DisplayLink Manager app does not rely on macOS kernel extensions, it is not only easier to install, but it will also lead to increased stability/reliability, improved behaviour across OS upgrades, and seamless updates through the App Store.
DisplayLink Manager app will introduce new elements/features like a graphical user interface shown in section 5.2.
The first release is available to download from our website.
2. How to stop using the DisplayLink Manager App and go back to the classic driver
If the login screen extension is not installed (see 6.1)
Then move the app from Applications folder to Trash Bin, like with any other app.
If the login screen extension is installed (see 6.1)
4. Do I need to uninstall the classic driver (DisplayLink Software 5.x.x) before trying the DisplayLink Manager App?
5. How to use the new DisplayLink macOS App?We recommend proceeding with following steps to install and use the new DisplayLink macOS App. They are to be followed once after installing the app.
5.1. First, uninstall the classic DisplayLink driver if you have it on your computer. Simply run the driver installer and select Uninstall.
5.2. Download the DisplayLink macOS app and install it from the ZIP file
5.3. Navigate in Finder to Applications and then open DisplayLink Manager
5.5. Select “Launch automatically after logging-in” for the software to start automatically every time you log-in.
5.6. Now connect the peripheral with DisplayLink technology and navigate to your System Preferences to open Security & Privacy
5.7. Enable “Screen Recording” to allow the DisplayLink Manager app to capture pixels and send them to your USB peripheral:
- Select the “Privacy” tab
- Navigate to “Screen Recording” in the list on the left
- Then tick the “Screen Recording” permission for DisplayLink Manager.
4. Because the new permission will only be active the next time you start the application, macOS will invite you to “Quit Now”. Please accept.
5. Now it has adequate permissions, re-open DisplayLink Manager from Applications in the Finder.
6. Your displays are now working properly.
If you enabled notifications from DisplayLink Manager, it will remind you to allow Screen Recording if it detects this permission is missing.
6. Other functions of the DisplayLink Manager
6.1 Login screen extension
Login screen extension enables the external screens to be available on login screen prior to the app loading after logging into your account.
1. To use the Login screen extension please download it from the link available on the front page of the DisplayLink Manager.
2. Install the extension
3. Once the installation is complete the extension will show as ‘Installed’ in the DisplayLink Manager.
There is now a support page in the DisplayLink Manager. It includes links to our DisplayLink FAQs, Knowledge Base and DisplayLink Forum. The last link allows the user to raise a support ticket directly from the DisplayLink Manager through starting a new email thread with our support.
7. Current DisplayLink Manager app scope and limitations
The DisplayLink Manager app is constantly improving. It
currently still has the following limitations we are currently working on, some
of them with the OS vendor.
- Number of external displays supported is 4,
- Rotation is not supported,
- Clamshell mode is not supported.
If one of these limitations affects your work, we recommend you stay on the classic driver.
8. How to share your feedback on the app
We would love to hear from you - if you have 3 minutes please fill in the survey from 6.3.
For new features and others, you can use the same method or please click on "Contact DisplayLink" in the right column to send your message.