I suggest you ...

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+ and Mojave 10.14 Early Previews

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139) and newer.

2,724 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TOULEMONDE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: September 12th
    Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

DisplayLink has worked for many months to maintain support for its users during the transition from macOS High Sierra to Mojave. While functionality such as Ethernet and audio or charging, where implemented, is unaffected on all releases, display connectivity has been limited on macOS releases from 10.13.4 through 10.13.6.

Users with access to Apple 10.14 Mojave previews released since 30th July confirmed full support was restored for multiple extended DisplayLink displays.
    We are performing wide scale testing of v5.0 beta released today against current and upcoming previews to release v5.0 upon general availability of 10.14.
    Driver v5.0 Beta: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=191

Users on High Sierra 10.13.4-10.13.6 should install the newly published v4.3 as the workaround to enable one extended USB display now supports additional resolutions.
    An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.
    DisplayLink driver v4.3 released today is also applicable to Mac OS X 10.12 and other macOS 10.13 versions.
    Driver v4.3: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=190

Some MacBook 2018 models on 10.14 previews may experience black extended display(s) with only mouse cursor. DisplayLink driver v4.3 Beta 6 stays available to force an AirPlay extended display on these machines until a fix is distributed.
    Driver v4.3 Beta 6: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1184

We thank you for your extended patience, we continue to value your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
    Alban

1812 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apple disable any means to get video through USB and there is no way for Display Link to be able to bypass this unfortunate decision. Please clarify this issue and put an end to this hopeless thread of frustrated customers.

I have been suggesting class action lawsuit. I am not trying to abuse our legal system but executing basic rights of the end user. Like Rich D stated below, CEO has not even bothered to make a statement. I don't know what the priority of this issue is for DisplayLink team. If we file a lawsuit that will certainly make this a priority. I am reaching out to all individuals affected by this issue and hope to see my attorney this Monday.

• Rich D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been watching this thread on and off since I was hit by the same disappointing reality when I upgraded macOS. I have zero connection with DisplayLink I should say, and as a result of facing this issue I no longer use my Dell D3100 dock. I am lucky since I have a 2016 pro so can drive two screens after picking up a USB-C to HDMI which can also deliver power from the Apple Charger too. I didn't use that originally because I liked my first thought of being able to drop a Chromebook or a Windows laptop on the same desk and get the same experience with a full set of peripherals.

It's true I too have been more than a little underwhelmed by the comms coming out of DisplayLink on this issue, news has been typically late and lacking detail. However I would caution people to remember, there is no 'online shop' on this site, we do not buy products from DisplayLink, they in some way license their technology to the people we buy from, in my case Dell via Amazon. Maybe they manufacture, I have no idea...but we definitely do not buy from them.

The reason I say this is because they are clearly not geared up to or experienced in responding to these issues in the same way the Dell's and Amazon's of this world are....I'm not saying thats how things should be nor am i saying DisplayLink deserve sympathy, I'm pretty certain they are learning some painful lessons right now....I just don't remember Gigabyte or Nvidia being any easier to deal with.

Personally I'd be surprised if there is anything MORE urgent for them across the entire DisplayLink business right now.....because evidently we don't know yet (well I don't at least) if this is a policy decision from Apple that would kill off the benefit of DisplayLink technology for Apple users, or something that might someday soon have a fix.

I know many will not agree, and yes I'm lucky because I have a Plan B, personally I think the best thing DisplayLink could do right now is post a statement, here, from the CEO or similar, setting out the position...

- do they believe this issue to be solve-able on current hardware or not?
        - do they require Apple's co-operation to solve?.....if so has it been indicated that they will get it?
        - if they can't yet say, when do they think they will be in the position to answer?

To me, those are perfectly reasonable questions. After all we can bang on about the issue being known about for months but as they say 'we are where we are'. If, however, within the next week or two, they can't answer those questions (don't have an important relationship with Apple), or they wont (it's probably bad news).....well, that gives everybody the answer I feel.

• Chris Metcalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I get an email update from DL today and they just cut and pasted their original message from the 2nd. What a joke.

• Abby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please send updates when their is an updated driver or another solution that won't take all day getting around downgrading OS versions. With today's times I would assume this wouldn't take so long to fix.

• SellHomesDaily.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all ! I was able to make dual screen work. I am connecting one monitor with display port and other one with this DisplayLink adaptor. I have macbook air 2012 running Mac OS 10.13.4.

The problem is the resolution it not good on the monitor thats connected through USB to DisplayLink Adaptor. I have tried both VGA and HDMI. Also, monitor connected to display port has a 1080p and also 1600x900 available. However the monitor connected through the DisplayLink is also not showing a fitted screen. I can see black area on each side about 2 inches wide. But the dual screen works.

• Ada Chao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't tell what's the difference in the update between April 13 and April 7.
        Could anyone please tell me?

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for working on this. I too would love to hear when there is a "fix". Just received my Amazon order and tried connecting...bummer.

Hi, I just received my device from Amazon and was saddened to see the same situation. What other options do we have? This is very disheartening.

• Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suppose that most of the blame should probably fall on Apple however what DisplayLink CAN DO is to post more frequent updates here. Ex. What has apple been saying to you about this? Are they going to fix this with an OS update? Are you guys left on your own to come up with a workaround? Every day that i come to this thread and there is no driver or update I get more and more angry with DisplayLink.

• Eamon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I remember even windows had to copy apple's SIP because it made sense. +1 to apple for that update. -1 for this one but let's be positive. time machine or full downgrade safest options for now. click on my name if you need instructions to downgrade if you don't have a time machine backup.

• Marcelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope you guys can fix this soon. Please send me an update when this is resolved. In the meantime, does anyone knows if we can downgrade to 10.13.3 if I take my laptop to the Genius bar? Thanks!

Very frustrating that there still is no fix. I ended up using @Eamon's solution (THANK YOU) and spent an entire day rolling back to 10.13.3. I suppose I've been lucky up to this point, but this is the first Apple update I've done, especially a "minor" one, that has broken functionality on such a vital piece of auxiliary equipment. I understand it's my fault for not checking to make I was safe to move up, but honestly, who checks everyone one of their peripherals for update notifications before doing Apple OS update? I'm afraid that there will be nothing Displaylink can do, since Apple is the one who has simply flipped a code-switch and turned off the ability to send video signal through the USB ports. If that's the case, that is a serious issue for MacBook Air users, since Apple only permits ONE video signal through Thunderbolt. I use the USB External Display adapter for a second external monitor.

• Gusse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quit your whining people and do like me. I just upgraded to Windows and everything is fine.

There's a workaround that seems to have mostly solved this problem, linked below.
        It’s a script named PurgeWrangler. It's not for the faint of heart, however, as it’s fairly intrusive. It was posted some days ago as rough alpha software that baldly disabled System Integrity Protection (!) This didn't inspire confidence. In the past week it seems to have been improved considerably, however. The current script (at the moment 2.0.2) downloads from the first post. but you should definitely read the whole thread. I haven't installed it, because I'm in the middle of an important project. But I plan to do so as soon as I have nothing to lose.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/paged/1/

• Alex Arndt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this just happened. I was about to start a BIG 4K video editing project on my two external monitors. Now I've got a poor quality clone situation. I really hope this can be resolved, like today. I guess there is no way to go back to the previous Apple OS version, right? Please email me when it's resolved.

• BC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All yall complain too much if you want a faster solution go make one. Smh ppl just dont understand the time it takes and things like this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base