I suggest you ...

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4+ and Mojave 10.14 Early Previews

The driver (DisplayLink Installer 4.1.11) doesn't work anymore withe macOS High Sierra bêta 10.13.4 (17E139) and newer.

2,724 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TOULEMONDE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: September 12th
    Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

DisplayLink has worked for many months to maintain support for its users during the transition from macOS High Sierra to Mojave. While functionality such as Ethernet and audio or charging, where implemented, is unaffected on all releases, display connectivity has been limited on macOS releases from 10.13.4 through 10.13.6.

Users with access to Apple 10.14 Mojave previews released since 30th July confirmed full support was restored for multiple extended DisplayLink displays.
    We are performing wide scale testing of v5.0 beta released today against current and upcoming previews to release v5.0 upon general availability of 10.14.
    Driver v5.0 Beta: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=191

Users on High Sierra 10.13.4-10.13.6 should install the newly published v4.3 as the workaround to enable one extended USB display now supports additional resolutions.
    An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.
    DisplayLink driver v4.3 released today is also applicable to Mac OS X 10.12 and other macOS 10.13 versions.
    Driver v4.3: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=190

Some MacBook 2018 models on 10.14 previews may experience black extended display(s) with only mouse cursor. DisplayLink driver v4.3 Beta 6 stays available to force an AirPlay extended display on these machines until a fix is distributed.
    Driver v4.3 Beta 6: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1184

We thank you for your extended patience, we continue to value your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
    Alban

1812 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • asdasd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might as well add to your support section that your products only works will Mojave 10.14 and newer because it looks like High Sierra is out of your scope now.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I installed, I uninstalled 4.3 beta 5 drivers, in my macbook pro with beta 7 majova, but I still can not see the screen with usb-hdmi

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DisplayLink Beta was installed in MacBook Pro OS High Sierra. After the installation was completed DisplayLink works. Next day when I connect the system to a Dell 6000 docking station. DisplayLink unable to connect and the only option that I got is only mirroring. I got like 50 users with MacBooks and Dell 6000 docking station in my environment. I try the whole process again but still the same.

• Make Displaylink Great Again commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, since nobody else is responding to everyone who is asking when Displaylink will have a fix for 10.13.4/systems that can't update to Mojave:

1) Apple removed support for Displaylink in 10.13.4. Displaylink has repeatedly said in their updates that they are working on a fix for a *future* version of macOS. Without Apple, I don't think any further fixes from Displaylink are possible for High Sierra.

2) Someone posting in the technical forum mentioned something that I think nails it:
        "I feel like one thing missing from this discussion of it now working with the Mac OS X 10.14 beta:

--- Its the DisplayLink Beta 5 (released 1 1/2 months ago) that is now working in 10.14 ---

That means that DisplayLink has had their side done for a while, and it required Apple to do their side to make it all work again.

***It also means that Apple could backport those fixes to 10.13 and make it work as well, but they probably have no interest in it.***

I totally get all of the complaining that the hardware stopped working, and the complaints about the fix being slow, but I appreciate whatever must have had to happen behind the scenes to get Apple to do their part."

tl;dr - Apple broke support in 10.13.4. It seems to be on the way to being fixed in 10.14. Only Apple has the ability to restore functionality in 10.13.x, but that almost certainly won't happen. Either find another solution for your external displays, or go through the pain in the @$$ process to restore your system to an older version of the os.

• Scott B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I uninstalled my drivers first, then rebooted, then installed Mojave and THEN installed the Beta 5 drivers and BAM. Working with my MBP 15 inch 2017, 60 inch 4k Samsung TV @4k and my Cisco DX80 @1080p.

• Cj Rhen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I installed Mojave Beta 6 today and my 2 external displays with the beta display driver are NOT functioning. They show a black screen and the cursor. Thank You

• Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a 2012 MacPro and none of the workaround work. When can I expect to get my display working again?

• abc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates for the pre-2011 folks who are tethered to High Sierra and cannot anticipate the Mojave fix? We cant use Airplay so still SOL even with the various workarounds

• Melvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just installed DisplayLink Software 4.3 Beta 5 on my MacBook Pro (2017) with macOS Mojave 10.14 beta, build 18A353d. There was no DisplayLink software installed since my last format/clean OS install. Works perfect using a HP 3005pr, connected via an Apple USB-C to USB Adapter. It took about a minute to recognize my screens first time, but that's OK and normal. Hope a fix for users of High Sierra will follow, especially for those who can't upgrade later this year.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is getting to be too long. Any patch or workaround? It's August.

When will multiple monitor support come back with OS 10.13.6 on the Mac. Its unbelievable that a patch has not already fixed this!

"experiencing black external displays with only the mouse cursor even after reinstalling the driver"

Is there a workaround for that issue?

• n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates for the pre-2011 folks who are tethered to High Sierra and cannot anticipate the Mojave fix? We cant use Airplay so still SOL even with the various workarounds

Running 10.14 Beta (18A353d) on MBP 2018 15" and it is not working with DL Driver 4.3 Beta 5. Any advice?
        Screens are detected but only show cursor, no windows or anything.

I followed the instructions but found out what I thought was 10.14 preview 5 was actually preview 4. When I fixed that by obtaining preview 5, and installing t5eh 4.3 beta 5, voila! Have extended display back on my Macbook Air. One other caveat, after doing that, you have to enable the Mac to use the displaylink script. Otherwise, black screen.

Just upgraded from 10.13 to the Mojave on the 2017 MP and the display link is working again on the duo 23" displays (MP is shut, ie, not using the built-in screen ). Thank you DisplayLink team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base