I suggest you...

Make DisplayLink driver available for installation and update from Ubuntu repository

Contact Canonical to make DisplayLink driver available for installation and update from Ubuntu repository, like AMD and nVidia driver packages.

240 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RussianNeuroMancerRussianNeuroMancer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jordan GrantJordan Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time there is a major Ubuntu update, I have to re-install the driver. It's a real pain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the driver is closed-source, Canonical will definitely "not" provide it in the repository.

As a long-time software developer for high-performance computation,
        I agree with the other posters about the desirability of making your support
        code fit in with the rest of the Linux world. A .deb file would achieve this goal
        for very little effort on your part.

I also heard that your software violates/violated the GPL in some way,
        and that you still have blobs of secret code in the compression area.
        These problems may have been resolved by now, but if not, I recommend that
        you do resolve them, to be a better member of the community.

Robert Bernecky

• Wouter BolsterleeWouter Bolsterlee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would also make a lot more sense to provide the software as a .deb file, instead of some executable .run file that does not cooperate with the system's package manager at all. it would also allow for much easier removal and upgrades of the software.

I would like to use one your USB portable monitors with a System 76 Meerkat mini-computer.

Feedback and Knowledge Base